Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome Quinn Christopher Kollasch

Mom meeting Mr. Quinn for the first time.

Dad and Quinn

Mom and her boys

Quinn ready for his first feeding

Grandma Sharon and her newest grandson

We are thrilled to announce the arrival of Quinn Christopher Kollasch! Quinn was born April 17th, 2009 at 6:49 am. He weighed 8 pounds and was 21 inches long. Mom, Dad, and Big Brother Benjamin are all well and happy to finally have Quinn here. My labor went much better this time - I only had to push for about 20 minutes this time compared to 3 hours with Ben! I went into labor on Thursday night while playing cribbage with my Dad at their travel trailer. I started having some pretty strong contractions and laid down to see if they would subside. Chris and Ben were at Kindermusik class and Chris called about 7:15 pm to tell me they were on their way home. My mom told him I was having contractions about 10 minutes apart. Chris made it home from class in record time and we called the hospital to see if we should come in. Since we live about 20 minutes from the hospital, they told us to head in just in case things progressed too fast. My mom went to our house to get our things and my Dad took Benjamin home. We arrived at the hospital around 8:30 pm and I was dilated to 5 cm and my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. Chris did an excellent job of driving to the hospital with me in labor - very impressive! I was admitted to the hospital and received my epidural after we got settled into the birthing room. My mom arrived and we were all ready for Quinn's arrival. Unfortunately, the epidural stalled my progress and we ended up having a pretty uneventful night. I dilated to 6 cm and Quinn finally dropped down enough for the doctor to break my water at 5:40 am. After that there was no stopping Quinn as I dilated to 10 and was ready to start pushing at 6:30 am. Quinn officially arrived at 6:49! He was beautiful and perfect. Since he made such a rapid exit, he ended up with some fluid in his lungs that didn't have a chance to be "squeezed" out by going through the birth canal. He was having to work a little too hard to breathe so he was taken to the Level II nursery for monitoring. I did get a chance to hold him and Chris went with him to the nursery. Thankfully he was able to be brought back to our room by 8:30 am to nurse. Grandma Sharon, Chris, and I also had a chance to get some cuddle time in before he had to go back to the nursery. Chris and I took the opportunity to shower and get something to eat. Grandpa and Big Brother Benjamin arrived and Quinn was able to leave the nursery to meet everyone. Ben wasn't too sure what was going on at first but I was so happy to see him and give him lots of hugs and kisses. He was curious about Quinn but was more interested in the ice cream Dad was eating.

We are scheduled to leave the hospital Sunday morning. Quinn is doing excellent and is nursing like a champ. He looks just like Ben and we are truly blessed to have two wonderful sons. It is also wonderful to have my parents here. My mom was an amazing support during Quinn's delivery and Grandpa is Ben's best friend. Stay tuned for more updates soon!

No comments: